and there's HELL to pay below
shout "GERONIMO" "GERONIMO".
- New theme: love the graphics, quite like the 80s-tastic fonts, not sure about the music.
- Adore the new TARDIS, oh my God. Watching the Confidential now and the Gallifreyan text all over it is wonderful. And the typewriter and the Morse Code thing. The actual travelling engine thing's got even more phallic, though.
- Wasn't keen on the tone at the start - a bit TOO farce - but it improved. I adored Matt from the start, and the TARDIS crashing on its side and how you'd have to rappel out.
- New things for Eleven: physical violence to an extent - they did a close-up on him grabbing Amy's wrist early on, and then grabbing one of the guys. And Amy, of course, and the car door. Win. Also, sarcasm.
- I was wondering at the start what was going on with Amy's accent, but it was just a bait-and-switch thing for the audience, I guess. Glad we've ended up with the Scottish accent.
- I think Karen Gillan's going to be really, really good. This was a pretty shallow ep, as these things go, but we got a couple of glimpses of proper acting. Matt, too, looks like he has more than Tennant's two settings. (Which I knew, from Party Animals!)
- I was worried at the start that Moffat seemed to be just recycling bits of his own old plots, but either he stopped doing it or I stopped noticing...but Big Ben, the hospital ward, the little girl, I can't remember what else, but there were a few things. I hope he doesn't only actually have three plots, that'd be a problem.
- Looks like we might recycle the Rose & Mickey relationship with Amy & Rory. Don't know why he had to exist, really.
- Ooh, get to see all the Doctors again. Eccleston! Matt Smith was a bit Tennant, I've seen people saying, but I saw some resemblance to Eccleston in there too. There was one line in particular that was just, yeah. Must rewatch.
- Quotes - "You're Scottish. Fry something." "I'm the Doctor. I'm worse than everybody's aunt." "Basically....run."
- I do wonder if the rest of the writers are going to remember that list of foods Eleven doesn't like.
- So, very very good for an intro episode, but I think it can get better.
Four stars. Awesome, but I'm sure Moffat can improve on awesome, so I'm leaving some space.