Today's things, and there have been many!
1. The internet in general, and its awesomeness, but specifically, Firefox add-ons. Today's haul has been:
- AutoPager, which loads the next page (on certain sites) at the bottom of the current one. Not LJ, it seems, but it works on Twitter, Digital Spy forums, flickr, amazon results, etc.
- Brief, an RSS feeder that I haven't quite managed to persuade to work yet. I think it's getting muddled up with Live Reader or whatever it's called.
- Fire.fm, a last.fm toolbar (small and unobtrusive) which will let you listen to any artist, title or tag station, your recommendations, etc. Working great, except that it isn't scrobbling the tracks. Probably a setting I've missed somewhere. (Edit: Yep, fixed it. You need to tell firefox to remember your last.fm password.)
- pdf download. Used in conjunction with Foxit Reader, as recommended by matgb, it makes viewing pdfs a painless and QUICK experience. My computer doesn't freeze for two minutes or more every time I open a pdf! Hurray!
- Read It Later, for when you want to mark something to read later, but don't necessarily want to bookmark it.
- Twitterfox gives you Twitter updates as they happen. Except, er, I haven't quite managed to persuade it to do so yet. But I will! Edit: Fixed this one too. I am computer genius! Possibly.
2. Christmas! I seem to have done most of my present-buying, yay. I got an Amazon delivery at 7.30 tonight, which was odd, but helpful - I'm going out tomorrow to buy a bracelet for my mum and an iPod arm-strap thing for my brother (hoping the Apple store have them, since it's too late to order one, probably!), and that should be about it. Also, as requested, I have photos of my lights:
In the light.
In the dark.
Close-up. Pretty lights are pretty.
3. OMG MERCHANDISE WHOGASM: Journal Of Impossible Things (from Human Nature/ Family of Blood) available from January. Probably not highest quality, if it's only a tenner and comes with a free sonic screwdriver, but.....YAY.
4. John Barrowman's performance at the Royal Variety Performance cracked me up. Watch without sound if you must (he's singing a bad song badly, with a cold) but the staging is...unbelievable. Dry ice! Dancers in white overacting operatically around the stage! John "floating"!
5. Greg Grunberg is on the Heroescast in...4h17mins, apparently. Huzzah!
6. Despite what I said to anonymous_greg, there was ONE book in the amazon package for me - Fwd This Link, a Rough Guide to staying amused online, compiled by rhodri. Books that are compilations of internet links are usually the very definition of useless, but this one also has a journal at fwdthislink, and is dedicated to LJers.